Medical Practice and Training
- Arthur Frank is a Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine at the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences in Washington, D.C.
- He is the senior physician at the National Center for Weight and Wellness.
- As Medical Director of the former George Washington University Weight Management Program, he developed the multidisciplinary treatment and research model for the nonsurgical management of weight loss and obesity-related diseases that has been copied throughout the country.
- He received his Medical Degree from New York University and completed his residency in Internal Medicine at Stanford University School of Medicine. He completed a post residency fellowship at National Institutes of Health.
- He received a Master’s Degree in Biochemistry from University of Pennsylvania and a Bachelor of Science Degree from Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Since 1994, Dr. Frank has been elected by his peers for inclusion in the Best Doctors in America. Over the past 35 years, he has treated thousands of patients.
- Dr. Frank is devoted to improving the scientific understanding about the underlying causes of obesity and the most effective treatments for weight management.He has chaired the Clinical Committee of the Obesity Society and directed the development of a program of patient care that focused on the scientific aspects of obesity and weight management.
- He conducts clinical research to evaluate effective pharmacotherapy and behavior modification techniques, and the best organization of health services for the management of adult obesity.
Teaching and Advocacy
- Dr. Frank has served on several advisory panels to the Federal Government, to industry and to nonprofits, including the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Science. He has testified before Congress, the Food and Drug Administration and the Food Safety Committee on issues relating to the regulation of obesity medications and deception and fraud in the weight loss industry.
- He has advocated for the protection of the rights of obese people who have been subjected to employment discrimination in the courts and before mediators.
- He has presented at grand rounds at hospitals throughout the country to help educate medical students and care providers on the need for physicians to address obesity in their patients and to better understand the science behind effective weight management.
- He has been published in medical and scientific journals and popular newspapers and magazines, including The Washington Post, Journal of the American Medical Association, and Obesity Research, on topics ranging from nutrition and eating behavior to the pros and cons of weight loss surgery, food addiction and diet fads.
- He is regularly interviewed by national and local news media for interviews on news reports about obesity and weight loss. He has served as a technical editor to the NBC Today Show.